Course Learning Objectives
- Describe the structure of Electric Drive systems and their role in various applications such as flexible production systems, energy conservation, renewable energy, transportation etc., making Electric Drives an enabling technology.
- Understand basic requirements placed by mechanical systems on electric drives.
- Review phasors and three-phase electric circuits.
- Understand the basic principles of power electronics in drives using switch-mode converters and pulse width modulation to synthesize the voltages in dc and ac motor drives.
- Understand the basic concepts of magnetic circuits as applied to electric machines.
- Understand the two basic principles (generation of force and emf) that govern electromechanical energy conversion.
- Describe the operation of dc motor drives to satisfy four-quadrant operation to meet mechanical load requirements.
- Design torque, speed and position controller of motor drives.
- Clearly learn to use space vectors presented on a physical basis to describe the operation of an ac machine.
- Understand the basic principles of Permanent Magnet AC (Self-Synchronous AC) drives.
- Describe the operation of induction machines in steady state that allows them to be controlled in induction-motor drives.
- Learn speed control of induction motor drives in an energy efficient manner using power electronics.
- Learn the basic operation of stepper motors and switched-reluctance motor drives.
- Learn about the energy efficiency of electric drives and inverter-motor interactions.
The new electric drives lab does not require MATLAB or dSpace and is 1/10ᵗʰ the cost of the previous version. The labs are implemented using freely available numerical simulation and real-time controller platform, Sciamble Workbench developed at the University of Minnesota.
New Version using Sciamble
Latest lab manual can be found here.
Click here for instructions to install Sciamble Workbench.
Click here to acquire complete electric drives laboratory lab kit.
Note: These labs can be accessed remotely. For more details visit Sciamble
List of Experiments
Basic Drives Lab (Undergraduate level)
Advanced Drives Lab (Graduate level)
ISBN: 1118074815 9781118074817
Complete Solution Manual for the "Electric Machines and Drives: A First Course" To receive a copy of the entire solutions manual, contact John Wiley & Sons and register as a faculty member.